You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
NYC Could Require Anti-Smoking Signs At Retailers
Plan Would Require About 12,000 Cigarette Retailers To Post Large Anti-Smoking Signs
NEW YORK (CBS) ―
http://wcbstv.com/cbs2crew/anti.smoking.signs.2.1058708.html

The New York City health department is moving forward with a plan that would require about 12,000 cigarette retailers to post large anti-smoking signs.

It's billed as the first such regulation in the United States.

The eye-level signs would have information about the harmful effects of smoking, possibly with an image.

The assistant commissioner for tobacco control, Sarah B. Perl, says it can be effective to display gruesome health effects such as amputations and throat cancer.

The city's Board of Health is now seeking public comment. At the earliest, it would vote in September.

If the proposal is passed, the department says it's poised to fend off lawsuits.

President Obama meanwhile cited his own long struggle to quit the cigarettes he got hooked on as a teenager as he signed the nation's strongest-ever anti-smoking bill Monday, June 22, and praised it for providing critically needed protections for kids.

"The decades-long effort to protect our children from the harmful effects of tobacco has emerged victorious," Obama said at a signing ceremony in the White House Rose Garden.

The first major report on smoking and health, Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General, was published in 1964. The report showed a link between cigarette smoking and cancer, and called for remedial measures. The first national antismoking coalition was also formed that year and insurance companies began offering discounted rates to non-smokers.

gypsy

gypsy
There is no smoking in public facilities in Paducah,I love it~not even in bars, or restaurants..

SSC

SSC
Admin
For those of us who do smoke it is just more examples of our rights being taken away, either in limitations or trying to price cigarettes so high we are forced to stop. It is my choice to smoke or not, just another example of rampant Gov. control.
If the tax on cigs is to pay for children's health care and people are forced to stop wonder what Obama is going to TAX next to cover the short fall ?
To cater to smoking patrons down here outside eating and smoking areas are being constructed out of respect for them. Wise move on a businesses part.

gypsy

gypsy
for those kids and people who do not smoke..

I say hooray~ why jeopardize others from another 's habit~
we have outside facilities for smoking that is good~ still glad the inside atmosphere is smoke free~

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
they stoped smoking in our building at work except for in the plant where its wide open and a huge building, but i see welders smoking, i read one time , the lungs can clean up a certain amount of stuff, but like if a welder smokes, his lungs say are trying to clean that and the smoking just does damage, as it cant handle both. we have a truck come and give hearing test once a year at work and also for the welders and grinders a breathing test. i think they do it for legal reasons actually. i am glad they stoped it in our lunch room because it did bother me, but this was our managements decision,at the main plant during lunch or the office workers go outside and take smoke brakes. not sure if the city we are in had a law or not, its a small city

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
my youngest daughter smokes, it saddens me to the point of almost crying about it, she stopped for 9 months when she carried my grandson, i cant get through to her, but she did say as they are hunting a new house, i said those cigs would go along way to a house payment, she said well that is fixing to stop,i can only hope,,, it would seem as she saw my 2 aunts die of lung cancer and smoked heavy, that she would think enough of my grandson to not smoke , it just saddens me, and i also lost my dad from what 2 drs call a smokers cancer, i was only 35, and he talked about retirement but never made it, and it left a hole in my heart,

gypsy

gypsy
I live in a state that grows tobacco, i know it is some farmers living, but i wish they would just quit making cigarettes and tobacco products.
I think most of Kentuckys tomacco is sold over seas
I worked in it for 17 years while farming, i hated everything about it~ LOL
I hope your Daughter quits Rosco~

SSC

SSC
Admin
I do smoke as you all know, I do agree to limitations on ages of buying tobacco products, but I also feel it each persons right to decide whether to smoke or not.
I do not like being dictated to by the gov. on what I can and cannot do.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I totally agree with that SSC...

I'm sick and tired of the gov telling us what we can and cannot do concerning personal issues such as smoking. I do smoke too, and I now buy the "305's" becuase they are a lot cheaper, but I really don't like anyone to tell me, or "force" me to do something they think is right for my own good, by jacking up the price of it.

I like the idea that people care enough and want to outlaw things that are bad for you, but come on now, that is taking away peoples ability to make their own decisions concerning their "own" health, no one else's health, only their own. And don't talk to me about second-hand smoke, that doesn't exist as any health risk to anyone, its only a decoy to make people think they are justified to stop people smoking.

gypsy

gypsy
runawayhorses wrote:I totally agree with that SSC...

I'm sick and tired of the gov telling us what we can and cannot do concerning personal issues such as smoking. I do smoke too, and I now buy the "305's" becuase they are a lot cheaper, but I really don't like anyone to tell me, or "force" me to do something they think is right for my own good, by jacking up the price of it.

I like the idea that people care enough and want to outlaw things that are bad for you, but come on now, that is taking away peoples ability to make their own decisions concerning their "own" health, no one else's health, only their own. And don't talk to me about second-hand smoke, that doesn't exist as any health risk to anyone, its only a decoy to make people think they are justified to stop people smoking.
I also understand your concept on Gov't
I felt that way at first when they made seat belts a law~ I see now that it does save lives..I do hate smoking and think it is bad for people breathing it especially if they have problems i can't be around it it makes me wheeze,sneeze and cough~ lol!

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have allergies to perfumes , they totally take my breath away,and make me feel like I am smothering, but there is no law to protect me .
This past year a sign was posted in an OPEN ballpark no smoking, what can possibly be the point in that ?
Slowly but surely peoples rights are being taken away, isn't that like a communist enviroment ? Government control is the ultimate goal and everyday this is more and more obvious.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
You know what? I'm not concerned about government taking charge of issues, some issues that is, in fact, I welcome it. If it will benefit everyone in these illustrious United States, I'm all for it. Understand, I believe in a free environment, a free market, a free situation where everyone can make their own decisions, totally free to make their own choices and choose their own destiny. I'm as American as any of you, I was born and raised here, it's all I know. my entire family was raised here in this country, work and born here as were my parents, My Dad served in the Army, in short, I am just like you. My family is just like most of yours. But lets face it, it ain't workin', we need control, major control, money spent in OUR favor instead of other nonsense issues. I love these United States of America, lets get control of our situation before it too late, otherwise, I'm moving to Canada... NYC Could Require Anti-Smoking Signs At Retailers 503179

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Come on y'all, lighten up, lets have some fun. Say shit off the top of your head. I do, it does the soul some good I think, just to let loose.

gypsy

gypsy
Shit shit shit NYC Could Require Anti-Smoking Signs At Retailers 729264

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
No, no, no, I meant SAY something profound, something interesting, something people wouldn't expect..lol

gypsy

gypsy
Ok Don't any of you have a heart attack!! Bush is a wonderful man, and a good president!! Very Happy

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Wow! I'm totally stunned by that statement, I would have never expected it of you..lol

SSC

SSC
Admin
Jesus Christ, my lightening bolts even lit up over that one...LOL

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well this is off the subject but i think close enough to post, is the smoking of illegal things or taking lortabs or whatever,, . i only say this because i think the best thing that stops ppl doing this is their jobs, lots of factories here have random drug test, so i feel this causes many ppl to stop. my place discussed random.. but decided against it, but they do if u get hurt and ppl do get hurt here, even just go to a eye dr for something in ur eye, and if u get hurt, u have to go to one place, the occupational clinic at a hospital here, the first thing u do is give a drug test, if u fail u dont have a job, and im not sure but one person said the company in that case does not have to pay for any workmans comp on u if u test positive, BUT that was just someone saying that so not sure,.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
oh sorry, i was on the phone while all that top of ur head part talked about ,, lol
im naked, lol

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well, quite frankly rosco, I'm not particularly interested if you are "Naked" or not, that's not in my realm of interest, however, I hope you get a rode on real soon, somehow, just the thought of you naked is enough to make me vomit..lmao

Just kidding.. NYC Could Require Anti-Smoking Signs At Retailers 503179

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
well im kidding too so that makes 2 of us, i wear the same thing all the time at home winter its sweats, and summer shorts and a tee shirt, but outside i wear my work cloths, long pants,because i would tear my legs up in some of the things i get into,
i dont have a robe, lol

SSC wrote:For those of us who do smoke it is just more examples of our rights being taken away, either in limitations or trying to price cigarettes so high we are forced to stop. It is my choice to smoke or not, just another example of rampant Gov. control.
If the tax on cigs is to pay for children's health care and people are forced to stop wonder what Obama is going to TAX next to cover the short fall ?
To cater to smoking patrons down here outside eating and smoking areas are being constructed out of respect for them. Wise move on a businesses part.
There's only one joint here I visit (very infrequently,I drink alone) and they built an open area. It's roofed against the rain and walled against the wind and rain, but the eaves are open. When I got up to take a look, everybody else did too. Even the bartender. It wasn't me,everybody there was a smoker.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Even thou I think smoking is everyone's right and privilege, I still plan on quitting, its just a matter of deciding when to do it. I suppose now would be a good time, but I'll wait another day or two,,and it goes on and on.. NYC Could Require Anti-Smoking Signs At Retailers 946318

I really should kick.

gypsy

gypsy
My hubby quit 20 years ago, our daughter threatened to not let him see his grandson if he didn't. he quit
he said he couldn't believe how much better he felt, and smelled, and he said he really started tasting food LOL

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum