You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
MY Words: where i work now has the most strict policy on being absent i have ever worked under, this year so far i have perfect attendance, they do not want someone with the flu there, but if ur not there u get 2 points, thats if u call before ur shift, if u miss that u get 6 points and one point for being late if u get ur call in before shift, this is even with a drs, excuse, there are no exceptions, they call it "no fault absentee policy", i call it a no tolerance absentee policy, anywhere i have worked if ur really sick and have a drs excuse, and cant work the day before and after a holiday u still got ur holiday pay, well not where i work now, if u miss for any reason even in the hospital, u dont get ur holiday pay. the worst thing is , they have retaliated on ppl that are absent. if u have a wreck on the way to work, u get points for being late, 2 if u dont get ur phone call before shift in. i dont want pay, i just dont like it when u have a drs. excuse it does u no good at all. i dont know the number of ppl that have lost their job by what the company calls pointing out, u loose ur job if u have too many points, i think this law im posting, will be non punitive, as i heard it on tv also,but im not saying it should pass, ppl where i work would be scared to use it anyway, they have ways to pay u back for not working,

Proposed law would require pay for sick workers
Tue Nov 3, 2009 5:05pm EST

By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. employers who tell workers to stay home when they are sick will have to give them paid time off for up to five days under new federal legislation proposed on Tuesday.

The emergency law would cover pandemic H1N1 flu or any other infectious disease, said California Representative George Miller, a Democrat who chairs the House Education and Labor Committee and who introduced the bill.

"Sick workers advised to stay home by their employers shouldn't have to choose between their livelihood, and their co-workers' or customers' health," Miller said.

"This will not only protect employees, but it will save employers money by ensuring that sick employees don't spread infection to co-workers and customers, and will relieve the financial burden on our health system swamped by those suffering from H1N1."

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises employers to encourage sick workers to stay home so they do not spread H1N1. "But workers have been reporting that many of them are either afraid or cannot afford to take time off," Miller told reporters in a telephone briefing.

Paid sick leave is not required by U.S. laws.

Miller said the committee would hold a hearing the week of November 16 and he would press to have a full vote as soon as possible.

Miller said at least 50 million American workers are not paid for time taken off sick, "many in lower-wage jobs that have direct contact with the public such as the food-service and hospitality industry, schools and health care fields."

MORE VACCINE READY

In a regular briefing, CDC director Dr. Thomas Frieden said 31.8 million doses of flu vaccine have now become available -- still far short of the minimum of 80 million to 100 million that had been projected for the first week of November.

This number includes vaccine already administered. Frieden said CDC hoped 10 million new doses will have been made available by the end of the week.

He said the pandemic may be having an unexpected side-effect -- increasing demand for the seasonal influenza vaccine. "We think this year will be the highest ever uptake on seasonal flu vaccine," Frieden said.

"We anticipate there being around 114 million doses of seasonal flu vaccine available through the market by the end of the year. It may be there is even greater demand than that by the end of the season."

This includes healthcare workers, who are often reluctant to be vaccinated. In recent years, only around 38 to 40 percent of healthcare workers get flu vaccines, but that percentage may be higher this year, Frieden said.

As with the vaccine against H1N1 swine flu, distribution is slow and patchy for seasonal flu vaccine. "We continue to hear that people are unable to get the vaccine," Frieden said.

The United States buys both seasonal and H1N1 vaccine from five makers -- GlaxoSmithKline Plc, AstraZeneca Plc's MedImmune unit, Novartis, Sanofi-Aventis and CSL Limited.

Some members of Congress and media commentators complained that detainees at Guantanamo Bay -- the U.S. base in Cuba -- would receive H1N1 vaccines when Americans were still struggling to find them.

But White House spokesman Robert Gibbs denied this on Tuesday. "There is no vaccine in Guantanamo and there's no vaccine on the way to Guantanamo," he told reporters.

I seem to remember Hillary telling us when the last flu pandemic caught the government very low on vaccines,she like all Bush bashers, was quick to be quoted saying "I guess this administration (Bush) was too busy lowering taxes for rich people to take care of this problem". Right. Of course. Liberal Democrats,at best,misguided children,at worst,just plain stupid, should now blame Obama for this poor planning,shouldn't they? Isn't this failure his fault? How many times have we heard here on this forum "Well, it happened on his shift"? OH NO! NOT OBAMA! As a sane conservative,I try to think instead of babble the party line like an idiot. It was NOT Bush's fault Ray Nagin stranded all those people in that coliseum in N.O. It was NOT Bush's fault that the American drug companies have outsourced ALL vaccine testing and manufacture overseas. And it is NOT Obama's fault those companies haven't been compelled to update and localize this process. But it's hard saying that knowing that our "dear keader", OBAMA, is always blameless and anything that goes wrong is and apparantly always be,somehow, Bush's fault. BTW, Roscoe, you need to do what I did : Have a bad wreck,collect a pile of insurance money,and retire. Working is a waste of time and a pain in the ass. Tra la la.

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote: Working is a waste of time and a pain in the ass. Tra la la.
I couldn't agree more. Work quite frankly, interferes with my play time, and I can't have that. I won't tolerate it.

People ask me all the time, what do you do now that you're retired? I say nothing!! Absolutely nothing. They say why? I say becuase if I had a job that might interfere with my doing nothing.

gypsy

gypsy
I love being retired. Thank God for me being a land owner, gave me the chance for an early retirement at 50 cheers

Top 10 reasons NOT to work: 1. Getting up and driving to work while still half asleep is dangerous. Stay at home. 2. Clocking in late will get you censured for doing something that has nothing to do with how good a job you're doing. Don't go and clock in in the first place. Stay at home. 3. When you start your workday,you will be competing with your fellow,back-stabbing employees, Avoid them. Stay at home and always succeed in having a better,greener lawn. 4. Work lunchtime is always a deadly menace. Company cafeterias will poison you. Driving in lunch hour traffic to a drive-thru is dangerous and will also poison you. Taking a lunch means eating stale food. Stay home and grill a small steak. 5.Office environments are full of viruses and bacteria. Stay at home and keep the Lysol handy. 6. "Walking around" might wear your shoes/feet out. Stay at home and keep the dogs on the Ottoman with the remote in yer lap. 7. Office/company parties are inherently dangerous. You'll just make an ass of yourself and risk getting fired. Stay at home and party with your neighbors' wives. They will NEVER fire you. They won't even admit you "work" together. 8. I bought a new car over 2 years ago and only have 10,800 miles on it. Staying at home and limiting your driving to driving to and fro to the local tavern PAYS! 9.You can wear what you want to at home. I usually wear nothing but my drawers. 10. Remember this: YOU WILL NEVER BE PAID WHAT YOU ARE WORTH BECAUSE YOUR EMPLOYER WOULDN'T BE MAKING A PROFIT ON YOUR WORK!!! STAY AT HOME AND STOP THROWING YOUR TIME AWAY!!!

gypsy

gypsy
I think that it is all backwards,play/retired while young, when you get fifty work~ :applaus:A famous comedian use to tell that story~

SSC

SSC
Admin
Moon you have the right idea, so does Tyler..work is a pain in the ass..

gypsy

gypsy
Tyler/Rosco,the work I did was mostly enjoyable, first job I had was taking care of children/family(my teen years)
then farming our land,hard work but so rewarding/plus raising six kids in that atmosphere was a blessing in itself,the teaching of life on a farm is one of the best learning experiences to children .

coaching softball for Girls,I literally had a fun time with this one//
chef//cooking// what a blast I had. cooking for the elite/political,that was fun.I would not trade that experience..
one that was hard for me was health care for terminally ill.I then retired/so all in all

I loved working/but loved retiring,I can piddle now

cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum