rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
MY WORDS most are funny, but obama on jay leno is haveing to applogize to a great many ppl and organizations even part of the kennedy crowd the shrivers, and all handy caped groups, but if u go to this url on each of the 10 posted, there will be a vidio of them flubbing it,
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/toby_harnden/blog/2009/03/20/top_10_gaffes_by_barack_obama_and_joe_biden_

Top 10 gaffes by Barack Obama and Joe Biden
Posted By: Toby Harnden at Mar 20, 2009 at 16:35:26 [General]
Posted in: Foreign Correspondents

Perhaps Barack Obama was just trying to make Joe Biden feel better by dropping his clanger on Jay Leno. Whatever the President was thinking, 60 days into their new administration it's time for a post-election Obama-Biden Top 10, in reverse order:

10. Just after he's been sworn in by him, the newly-minted Vice President Joe Biden gets the name of Justice John Paul Stephens, "one of the great justices" of the Supreme Court, calling him "Justice Stewart":

9. Barack Obama jokes about Nancy Reagan having séances in the White House. He later called her to apologise after the AP noted that although she had consulted astrologers, "she did not hold conversations with the dead":

8. Joe Biden forgets the "website number" for the White House internet site designed to show how TARP money is being spent:

7. Barack Obama mixes up the windows and doors at his new home:

6. Joe Biden jokes about Chief Justice John Roberts fluffing the inauguration oath. The president is visibly annoyed with his veep and Biden later apologises:

5. A Marine One double. First, on his maiden Marine One trip Obama breaches protocol and makes life uncomfortable for an enlisted marine by shaking the the serviceman's hand as he's saluting his commander-in-chief:

Then - Gerald Ford, eat your heart out. Barack Obama bangs his head as he boards his helicopter:

4. Joe Biden tells his wife that he had the choice of being either Secretary of State or vice-president - an offer that was news to Obama aides and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton when Jill Biden spilled the beans on Oprah:

3. Gordon Brown presents the new President with: a pen holder carved from the timbers of HMS Gannett, a sister ship of HMS Resolute; the commissioning certificate of HMS Resolute; and a seven-volume biography of Winston Churchill. In return, the Prime minister gets 25 DVDS, which don't work in Britain:

2. Joe Biden tells a former Senate colleague who addresses him as "Mr Vice-President" to "give me a f---ing break":

1. The latest one takes the biscuit. Barack Obama jokes about the disabled on the Jay Leno show. Afterwards, he calls the head of the Special Olympics to apologise:

gypsy

gypsy
I watched Obama last night on Jay Leno, i didn't see where he apologized to anyone, the Kennedy's or shriver i heard no names mentioned like that~on the show..but if i am mistaken there should be a video?

gypsy

gypsy
yes i did see the special olympics (shriver) but I don't think he intented it to be offensive. also i thought it was a good,infomative show with jay And Obama` i don't remember the Kennedy's mentioned but i could be mistaken

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:I watched Obama last night on Jay Leno, i didn't see where he apologized to anyone, the Kennedy's or shriver i heard no names mentioned like that~on the show..but if i am mistaken there should be a video?
the apologies were today, as the shit hit the fan when he said on leno his bowling was worse or like the special olympics, it was on talk radio on my way home from work, but i will post the article on it here, u know maria shriver is married to,arnold swarzenager, i only knew about it because it was in the new and on talk radio know if i would have seen it on my news list i use,but here is the article, u misunderstood if u thought he applogized on the show, the show is where he screwed up he already was taking some flap for being on the show, but i dont care one way or the other i did not watch it, so here is the atricle, the show is taped earlier in the nite, so its not live, is why he called tim shriver,

Obama apologizes for remark
By JONATHAN MARTIN | 3/19/09 11:05 PM EDT Updated: 3/20/09 5:00 PM EDT

After comparing his bowling to the Special Olympics on "The Tonight Show" Thursday, President Obama called Special Olympics Chairman Tim Shriver to apologize before the program even aired.

“He expressed his disappointment and he apologized, in a way that was very moving,” Shriver said on ABC's “Good Morning America.” “It’s important to see that words hurt, and words do matter. And these words that in some respect can be seen as humiliating or a put-down of people with special needs do cause pain, and they do result in stereotypes."

Obama told Shriver he wants to have some Special Olympics competitors over to the White House for basketball or bowling.

Shriver is the son of Special Olympics founder Eunice Kennedy Shriver, President Kennedy's sister.

The president had been making an attempt at self-deprecating humor in his appearance on Jay Leno's show by saying that a recent 129 he scored in the White House bowling alley had been "like Special Olympics, or something."

He and his staff quickly recognized the mistake and moved to limit the damage.

While Obama called Shriver, White House Deputy Press Secretary Bill Burton told reporters flying back to Washington with Obama on Air Force One that the president had “made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics.”

“He thinks that the Special Olympics are a wonderful program that gives an opportunity to shine to people with disabilities from around the world,” Burton said.

Aside from the regrettable appearance of a president even implicitly poking fun at the disabled, Obama’s comments came on the same day that he had appeared with California First Lady Maria Shriver, an early supporter and the sister of Tim Shriver.

Eunice Kennedy Shriver founded the athletic competition for the disabled in 1968.

Even before the Special Olympics remark, the idea of a light-hearted late-night turn was something of a risk for a president in the midst of a recession. And Obama had taken some criticism for it already.

But he shrugged it just a few hours before he taped the show.

See Also
VIDEO: Obama defends Geithner
“Now, there are those who say these plans are too ambitious,” Obama said, referring to his agenda during an town hall event. ‘In fact, somebody was saying the other – today, I think – that I shouldn't be on Leno. I can't handle that and the economy at the same time.”

Obama used much of his appearance on the comedy show to discuss the economy but sought to get in some light-hearted quips toward the end of the taping.

He said he had been working on his bowling game just below his new residence and recently rolled a 129.

“That’s very good, Mr. President,” cracked host Jay Leno.

"It's like — it was like Special Olympics, or something," the president replied.

Obama’s bowling skills, or lack thereof, have been a running joke since he fared poorly during an impromptu game at a Pennsylvania bowling alley during the Democratic primary last year.

Obama's line on Leno was reminiscent of a crack at Nancy Reagan he let slip last year.

"I didn't want to get into a Nancy Reagan thing about, you know, doing any seances," he said at a press conference days after being elected last November, a reference to the former First Lady's consultation with an astrologer during her time in the White House.

Obama called the elderly Reagan after his comment and apologized about what an aide described as "a careless and off-handed remark."

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
Friday, March 20, 2009

BARACK OBAMA, SARAH PALIN

Palin Hits Obama on 'Special Olympics' Joke

Gov. Sarah Palin responded to remarks made last night by President Obama related to the Special Olympics on “The Tonight Show with Jay Leno":

“I was shocked to learn of the comment made by President Obama about Special Olympics,” Governor Palin said. “This was a degrading remark about our world’s most precious and unique people, coming from the most powerful position in the world.

“These athletes overcome more challenges, discrimination and adversity than most of us ever will. By the way, these athletes can outperform many of us and we should be proud of them. I hope President Obama’s comments do not reflect how he truly feels about the special needs community.”

Well, after the way his allies went after her, he really couldn't count on a full-throated defense of a boneheaded comment. Obama used the whole "it's just a joke" excuse with his "lipstick on a pig" comment, too.
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YTQ2Nzk1NjAzMjdiN2U4YTExZDg4ZTA5YjRmMTYxMTU=

gypsy

gypsy
I did not find it offensive at all, I had a special needs child and she was in special Olympics..I think they are trying to find all they can to discredit obama. after only 60 days into his office, i think the country needs to worry about what a full plate he(Obama) was handed..is this Timothy Shriver kin to Marie? and how did the Kennedy's fit in to this, because rosemary was a special needs person.?I admire him for apologizing, but I don't think his reference was intentionally to harm~ just my opinion.. I enjoyed the jay lenno show, and thought it was great obama reaching out to public, the audience sure did love him~:)

gypsy

gypsy
ok I understand Eunice being the founder, now i understand where the Kennedy's came in..I still think it is a stupid picky thing,I think Palin has enough to worry about without pointing out mistakes~ after all the ones she made~~I don't think he used the word worse, did he(olympics) my opinion!

gypsy

gypsy
I also missed where Marie, and Timothy were brother and sister sorry about that..:)

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:ok I understand Eunice being the founder, now i understand where the Kennedy's came in..I still think it is a stupid picky thing,I think Palin has enough to worry about without pointing out mistakes~ after all the ones she made~~I don't think he used the word worse, did he(olympics) my opinion!

no i just was explaining, when i said worse or the same or whatever i said, what he said is posted,
it was the topic on talk radio , on a local station here on my way home from work so i looked for the article on the sight i use that has news topics, they had the 2 i posted, hims and biden just need to
be more carefull ,, but most ppl in the public eye screw up, but him being the leader of the freeworld he really should not go after the laugh and be more careful, surly he will in the future....

gypsy

gypsy
yes i think he will be more careful, I think someone made a booboo, most the time all shows and things of the jay leno type show is scripted ,I am suprised that happened.
I do agree on him being more careful, but i think he was just showing that he is only human,wrapped up in the fun between him and leno. and made an error,..:)

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
gypsy wrote:ok I understand Eunice being the founder, now i understand where the Kennedy's came in..I still think it is a stupid picky thing,I think Palin has enough to worry about without pointing out mistakes~ after all the ones she made~~I don't think he used the word worse, did he(olympics) my opinion!

he is the President, everything he says will be dissected , it just goes with the territory, no biggie,

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
I saw nothing wrong with his comments either, he was on a "Entertainment" show, so I think most people will cut him some slack.

Tonight on Jay Leno, Obama Makes Joke About Special Olympics