You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Will bacteria count beach Barack Obama? Empty Will bacteria count beach Barack Obama? Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:00 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran

Will bacteria count beach Barack Obama?
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Friday, August 20, 2010 - Updated 42 minutes ago

EmailE-mail PrintablePrint Comments(129) Comments LargerSmallerText size Bookmark and Share Share Buzz up!

WEST TISBURY - Welcome to Martha’s Vineyard, Mr. President - but don’t go in the water!

President Obama, who took a plunge in the Gulf last week to show Americans it was safe to swim the oil spill-plagued area, arrived on this supposedly pristine island yesterday in the midst of a rash of bacteria-induced beach closings.

Portions of Tisbury Great Pond, the salt-water lagoon fronting the first family’s vacation estate Blue Heron Farm, were closed earlier this week due to high levels of enterococci, an indicator that the water is contaminated with fecal coliform bacteria. Ew.

High levels of enterococci can cause skin irritation, vomiting or diarrhea in swimmers. Which could ruin anyone’s vacation!

West Tisbury health agent John Powers said Long Cove Pond and Sepiessa Point Beach on Tisbury Great Pond were closed to swimming Tuesday after both failed water-quality testing. The two beaches are public and located not too far from the Obamas’ private beach. Because the beach on Blue Heron Farm is not accessible to the public, it is not subject to water-quality tests, Powers said.

Parts of the Tisbury Great Pond remained closed yesterday but others were open after new testing brought the bacteria counts back down to acceptable levels. Powers said he couldn’t say whether the first family should avoid swimming in the pond during their 10-day Vineyard vacation.

“It’s not my job to recommend or not recommend whether or not to go in the water,” he said. “I just get the numbers and take the appropriate action.”

But when we asked another town official whether or not it was safe for the prez to take a dip in the pond, he was a little more informative.

“Depends on whether or not he likes to swim in poop,” joked the longtime islander, who shall remain nameless.

More than 200 Massachusetts beaches have been closed due to high bacteria readings this summer. The high counts are usually caused by sewage or storm water overflow but could also be caused by domestic or farm animals and wildlife.

On Martha’s Vineyard, West Tisbury wasn’t the only town plagued by beach closings. Swimming was banned on four popular beaches in Oak Bluffs this week - the Inkwell, Pay Beach, Eastville Beach and Medeiros Cove due to high bacteria counts. They were reopened yesterday after re-testing. In Chilmark, the pond at Lucy Vincent Beach had bacteria readings more than double the acceptable levels.

SSC

SSC
Admin
What a shame 10 days and no swimming , he better worry about his little plunge in the gulf, these waters are not as safe as people think.
Another vacation, this will be his legacy the most vacations in history and when the whole country is struggling to stay afloat, he trots off spending taxpayer money. I love the sound of nails in his coffin.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i know gulf shores swimming was closed, i think its open now, but i kinda followed panama city since so many go there from here,, i dont think the oil got that far south or was swimming there ever closed, but i may be wrong, , pensicola had probs and destin, but ppl i work with went to pc on vacation and said things were fine in panama city, and i think like the east coast where tyler is kinda dodged the bullet on oil coming ashore..as has been reported tar ball have always been around since the gulf floor leaks alot of oil in cracks and such natually, but i dont worry about stuff to much,im not into worrying about freon and all that ,,, heck i pour my used motor oil on the ground, along my fence line to kill weeds, the way my lot is it cant run off in rain, but i pour it out, but in a few weeks new weeds are growing where i poured the oil.i still get ticked they took some of my favorite pesticides off the market like dursban, and diazanon, this stuff they sell now is not that good.. they were using dursban in restaurants, i use to get it free, when my mom worked for a pest control company, and i have sprayed alot many years ago, i know some were probably bad like chlordane, but they used it for decades, i had my house done with the really good stuff, hepticlore, it was off the market, but the company had some and the guy in charge used it on my house to make sure i was treated good, but that was like 25 years ago or more,,, oh obama spent i think 26 hours in panama city , that had to be a publicity thing. i had my well tested at the lake years ago, all they test for is bacteria, but i probably should do it again, it use to be free to test, i imagine it still is, they give u a bottle to use then u take it back to the health dept, and they mail u the results,but to be sure since it was 20 years ago, we buy walmart gallon jugs of drinking water, but i still drink it, its just a pain to take it downtown for the testing... some things just dont bother me that much.

SSC

SSC
Admin
I have used pesticides and defoliants in my yard we also have aerial spraying for mosquitoes , some things I steer away from since the runoff from my yard goes into the river behind me . We haven't eaten the fish out the river for years, I have seen to many deformed catfish come from there. I despise pond fish they are mushy and taste like mud.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
likei said the lake im on is the cleanest in the state, u can eat all the fish, they now have hybid bass or salt water strip but u dont eat them,, i forget which and they have fishing guides that will take u out, the last ones i know of are over 40 pounds i imagine they are over 50 now, resterants have pictures and tour guides have cards in resterants, but the lake has clean fish, there is a small river, but much of the lake is spring fed, it has over 500 miles of shoreline, its has lots of fishing but mostly a ski lake, the fishing is at nite alot, ,. the lake has changed to where only the rich can afford to be on it now when just starting out, i dont like that but it made my property shoot up, im just glad, i was divorced before it shot up, its almost unbelieable the mansions going up,i only know of one river in the state u cant eat the fish..its funny at the marina close to me a small one, they have carp that are hugh, that will eat out of ur hand and suck a baby bottle, and are in the wild, but stay around the floating store and gas pumps, there is gas on top or the water ppl spill filling up, but these carp and bream seem to thrive on it, they stick their heads through the top of the water to eat crackers out of ur hand, i will post a pic of kim feeding one on the pictures here,

SSC

SSC
Admin
They introduced a hybrid stripped bass to our river big mistake they are growing huge and destroying the nesting beds of bass, brim and white perch. So far they have not found a way to undo the damage these fish are causing.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
we have ppl argue both sides on the lake, some say they are doing no harm, i really dont know, but lots of ppl just plain bass fish,, i use to when my dad was alive, since i got my new walkway which is alot longer, the max alabama power will allow 60 feet from the stand it is connected to to the boat dock, , i need to rerun my power out there and fish under the lights at nite, in the day time in the summer there are so many seadoos and ski boats, its makes fishing tough i rememeber when it was all woods, but now huge houses are being built , the property has gone so high ppl are selling lots they would not sell years ago,

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
SSC wrote:What a shame 10 days and no swimming , he better worry about his little plunge in the gulf, these waters are not as safe as people think.
Another vacation, this will be his legacy the most vacations in history and when the whole country is struggling to stay afloat, he trots off spending taxpayer money. I love the sound of nails in his coffin.
I think Obama's doing a great job.

SSC

SSC
Admin
Rosco the hybrids here in 5 years are growing at a rate of 4-5 lbs a year. WL&F have already noticed a big reduction in the common fish, the catfish are holding their own as are spoonbill but smaller breeds are harder to find.

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
many years ago ,, say 20 they put in brown trout, because the lake is so deep and cold, some were caught but they never caught on, i never here about them, but if there is a problem with the hybrids, i have not heard anything in a few years, i do remember meetings a few years ago, pro and con on there effects on other fish, but nothing as of late,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum