You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:37 pm

gypsy

gypsy
We will be having the traditional celebration~Turkey and all the trimmings!
Good Food, Family, and Friends~

2Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:24 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:We will be having the traditional celebration~Turkey and all the trimmings!
Good Food, Family, and Friends~
We will be having the traditional food (Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans..etc) but no family. Just my brother and I, and maybe a friend or two. I don't like going to someone elses house to eat, and we don't have much family left. The ones that are still alive are Christians and they don't like smoking and drinking beer. So I say fine you won't be seeing much of me then. I like cooking thanksgiving dinner in my own house, and if a friend wants to come over that day its fine by me. I don't like being around people that don't like what I do. So I don't associate with them.

3Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:34 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I am cooking traditional, Deep fried turkey, baked duck, rice and gravy, green bean casserole, cauliflower & cheese, potato salad, deviled eggs, sweet potato casserole, shrimp and militons, cornbread dressing, relish tray, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, pineapple upside down cake, spinach dip w/triscuits and lord knows what else I will come up with between now and then.

4Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:55 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Wow, you're going to have a busy day!

How is a "Deep fried turkey" traditional? A traditional Turkey is "Oven Baked" everyone knows that. You're cooking a "new age" Turkey. That's punky I can dig it.

How do you keep the stuffing from coming out of the turkey when you Deep fry it? lol

5Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:53 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I never stuff a turkey, to much of a risk for under cooking plus the internal juices just don't appeal to me soaking into stuffing, I make an oyster dressing almost like stuffing just a little more flavor. Deep fried turkeys have been on a Thanksgiving table in these parts for over 20 years, it isn't anything new to us .

6Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:56 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Oh ok, I never had a fried turkey before. The reason I don't like that idea is because you lose the turkey juice in the oil. When you bake it in a pan you can spoon some juice on your turkey and potatoes. But I'd try a fried turkey of course, just never had it.

7Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:01 pm

gypsy

gypsy
if one knows how to fry a turkey,,it is the best I have ever had!! my brother in law a true Cajun,does know how!! yummy~ love it, when he describes how in french!

8Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:if one knows how to fry a turkey,,it is the best I have ever had!! my brother in law a true Cajun,does know how!! yummy~ love it, when he describes how in french!
Well I know how, its not rocket science.

9Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:06 pm

gypsy

gypsy
LOL true, the secret,is seasonings,temp,and how long!!

10Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:59 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Tyler when you deep fry it seals all the juice in as soon as it is submerged in the oil, so the turkey is very juicy, it isn't hard to do but there are precautions you have to take or the whole thing can go up in flames. Deep fried turkeys became a past time for several holidays in my area, it was started at an old VFW , they experimented with lbs and oil temp, in the beginning they used a wire clothes hanger ( they made a harness from it ) attached it to a broom handle and lowered it into a pot of oil. There are several different seasonings you can use.

11Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Traditions. Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:53 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I love learning ,and experiencing different ones..we are the only country celebrating Thanksgiving..
just imagine,back then,when winter was sitting in,the hardships, we will never experience.The strength,endurance,a community working as one,we could take lessons//we need lesson.'s.
United we Stand,Divided we fall
lets get our act together.

It is not politics,,it is our Country!!

12Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:I love learning ,and experiencing different ones..we are the only country celebrating Thanksgiving
Incorrect. Canada celebrates Thanksgiving too. They do it in October.

13Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:09 am

gypsy

gypsy
Oh! shucks! you bursted my bubble.. I forgot they did!

14Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:15 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
SSC wrote:Tyler when you deep fry it seals all the juice in as soon as it is submerged in the oil, so the turkey is very juicy, it isn't hard to do but there are precautions you have to take or the whole thing can go up in flames. Deep fried turkeys became a past time for several holidays in my area, it was started at an old VFW , they experimented with lbs and oil temp, in the beginning they used a wire clothes hanger ( they made a harness from it ) attached it to a broom handle and lowered it into a pot of oil. There are several different seasonings you can use.
Ok that makes sense. I like my turkey juicy is why I said that. I always spoon out some in the pan and put it on top of everything. I'll have to try deep frying one someday that sounds good. First I'll have to get a deep fryer big enough to cook a turkey. This year we're going to use the oven as usual.

15Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:07 pm

You can get a new turkey fryer at Walmart for $39

Oyster dressing is the best in the world. After our first one, we insisted on that style forever after. There's nothing like it.

16Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:24 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
Moon is that with the burner and tank or just the pot and basket ?

17Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 pm

SSC wrote:Moon is that with the burner and tank or just the pot and basket ?
It looked like the basket, pot, burner, and a stand. The tank will be up to the buyer.

18Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:43 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
What do you need a tank for? Are you talking about a propane tank? I think I would prefer an electric one.

Also I have another question, what do you do with all the oil after you cook the turkey? And how many bottles of oil do you need to buy and what kind of oil is best to use?

19Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:48 pm

runawayhorses wrote:What do you need a tank for? Are you talking about a propane tank? I think I would prefer an electric one.

Also I have another question, what do you do with all the oil after you cook the turkey? And how many bottles of oil do you need to buy and what kind of oil is best to use?
This is why I never considered a turkey fryer. The idea of wasting a coupla gallons of expensive canola oil just seems foolish. I don't think anyone makes an electric fryer. Just guessing.

20Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:39 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Well I think I'm not going to get a turkey deep fryer. I've been satisfied all my life with oven cooked turkeys. Totally satisfied. Its the way my family have always cooked them so I'm sticking with that. My grandmothers and grandfathers didn't have a deep fryer, they cooked them in the oven. Also, I like the smell of the turkey cooking in the oven that goes all thru the house.

If it ain't broke don't fix it attitude.

21Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:13 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Got a Turkey today. its a 13 pound butterball.

22Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
It takes 5 gallons of peanut oil to fry but you can do as many as 4-5 turkeys in the same oil, it takes about 30-35 minutes to fry a 10 lb turkey, that is why we do a get together and fry several for other families. I have the whole set up propane tank and all. There is an electric deep fryer on the market but not sure it would hold a 10=12 lb turkey.

23Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Ok thanks, but I'm just going to use the oven. I'm comfortable with that.

24Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:43 pm

gypsy

gypsy
Tyler Do Y'all make cornbread dressing with your turkey, or some other kind of stuffing?

25Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:27 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:Tyler Do Y'all make cornbread dressing with your turkey, or some other kind of stuffing?
No, we use stovetop stuffing. Its cheap but good.

Last edited by runawayhorses on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum