You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:13 pm

SSC wrote:It takes 5 gallons of peanut oil to fry but you can do as many as 4-5 turkeys in the same oil, it takes about 30-35 minutes to fry a 10 lb turkey, that is why we do a get together and fry several for other families. I have the whole set up propane tank and all. There is an electric deep fryer on the market but not sure it would hold a 10=12 lb turkey.
You've answered the questions I had. I was interested when I first became aware of fried turkeys, but I'm not a "get together" type guy,so sharing 5 gallons of oil is not something I would ever do. When I used the term "foolish", I meant foolish for ME. I'm like that guy I saw on TV who fried a turkey and burned his house down.

27Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:32 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
lol..A friend burned his garage down doing turkeys so it certainly can happen, I have a special area built for deep frying and boiling seafood away from the back of my house. You never know !!!
Tyler I love stove top stuffing, have you seen the one with cranberries in it ? It is surprisingly good, but I am a huge cranberry lover. Nothing better than turkey-cranberry sauce and a dinner roll sandwich..

28Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:16 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
SSC wrote:Tyler I love stove top stuffing, have you seen the one with cranberries in it ? It is surprisingly good, but I am a huge cranberry lover. Nothing better than turkey-cranberry sauce and a dinner roll sandwich..
No I don't think so but it sounds good. The one I usually get and the one I have right now is the regular stovetop turkey stuffing. Haven't seen the one with cranberries in it yet. Sounds good I like cranberries too. I'm waiting until Tuesday to get the potatoes and green beans so they will be fresher. The Turkey is in the freezer, will pull that out Monday and put it in the frig to defrost.

29Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:29 pm

Just a note. I dunno if you guys have tried this, but the non-jellied cranberry sauce is 2X as good (to me)

30Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:05 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:Just a note. I dunno if you guys have tried this, but the non-jellied cranberry sauce is 2X as good (to me)
What are you doing this Thanksgiving Moon? Are you going to family or are they coming to you? Are you cooking it yourself?

Personally, I'd like to go to moons for thanksgiving one year, just for kicks I'll dump that non-jellied cranberry sauce over his head. That's good for a laugh.. Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 67629

31Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:31 am

runawayhorses wrote:
meemoon wrote:Just a note. I dunno if you guys have tried this, but the non-jellied cranberry sauce is 2X as good (to me)
What are you doing this Thanksgiving Moon? Are you going to family or are they coming to you? Are you cooking it yourself?

Personally, I'd like to go to moons for thanksgiving one year, just for kicks I'll dump that non-jellied cranberry sauce over his head. That's good for a laugh.. Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 67629
I'm afraid I lack all human need for company. This is probably why I like your forum. I can converse with ya'll without actually dealing with you in person. I have no plans for Thanksgiving and generally see all holidays as just another day. My bro and I considered going to my mom's, but,as she gently reminded us: "I don't want any of you assholes anywhere near me!"

(Not really, of course,but my mother just turned 80 and is severely limited in her activities; my bro would never bake a turkey, and I don't particularly like it as well. My niece cooks for a living and will,undoubtedly,cook a huge layout, but....we are weirdos and avoid each other. And,no, I don't take this stuff seriously)

32Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:33 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
meemoon wrote:I'm afraid I lack all human need for company. This is probably why I like your forum. I can converse with ya'll without actually dealing with you in person. I have no plans for Thanksgiving and generally see all holidays as just another day. My bro and I considered going to my mom's, but,as she gently reminded us: "I don't want any of you assholes anywhere near me!"

(Not really, of course,but my mother just turned 80 and is severely limited in her activities; my bro would never bake a turkey, and I don't particularly like it as well. My niece cooks for a living and will,undoubtedly,cook a huge layout, but....we are weirdos and avoid each other. And,no, I don't take this stuff seriously)
Ok I understand that. Might I suggest a Turkey TV dinner on thanksgiving day? Also you might consider a turkey baloney sandwich and turkey Hotdogs. You could celebrate Thanksgiving that way. :)

With me its just me and my brother, and maybe a few friends. But we also do the thanksgiving dinner together. I cook the green beans and sometimes stuffing, he does the turkey. But I've done the turkey before too. We decide who does what a week or so in advance. This year I'm doing the green beans and stuffing.

Here's an idea for you for Christmas: Buy yourself a gift online and have it gift wrapped in Christmas paper and sent to your house. Then put it under your tree (if you have one) and pretend you don't know what it is. Then Christmas morning open it and act surprised.

For NewYears Day, buy a small box of sparklers, I recommend you get a box at least a day in advace, then at midnight light one and wave it around like you give a shit.. lol

33Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:59 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i have posted this before, but as a meal not at thanksgiving but i titled it thanksgiving on the cheep, its not as good of course as the real thing but its pretty good and close,, at walmart get a 5 buck rotisserie chicken, fresh out of the deli, where they cook them, they are great, then for dressing get a box of regular or chicken flavored "stuff and such" to take the place of dressing, and make that as directed ..and u can get the walmart brand if u like, and a can of cranberry sauce, and a can of the cooked yams, and cook them with butter and some brown sugar on top of the stove till they thicken some, and ur choice of salad or whatever veggie u like.. its so easy and its pretty good, the main difference is the dressing is not real but its pretty good, the rotisserie chicken is just as good as a turkey . but i posted this to do it during the year .. and not on thanksgiving, but for one or 2 ppl , its easy and good,, i will go to my sisters like on wednesday, and we will have thanksgiving thursday about 5 pm and i will spend the night, a couple nites, and see my nephews, as u know one has been welding on a new oil refinery being built in chicago, he will be home and i have not seen him in a while, but i hope all yall have a great thanksgiving, i cooked red beans and rice again tonight with turkey smoke saugage tonight, usually i eat out, but i worked in the yard yesterday and today till dark, and was worn out, i think i got the yard so whats left to fall i can just run over it with the mower, take care

34Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:11 am

On an early show yesterday morning, Sunday, I saw an electric turkey fryer sold by the Butterball people, that sells for $99, uses only one gal of oil, and is temp controlled so it has a number of other apps. They also sell at Walmart.

35Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:28 am

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
now we have a store here called FREDS i am looking at the advertizement and it has a butterball .
, titled and i quote OIL FREE TURKEY FRYER... REQUIRES NO OIL OR PROPANE. COOKS IN 1/3 THE TIME OF CONVENTIONAL OVENS, THERMOSTAT, WOOD CHIP TRAY FOR SMOKE FLAVOR, it is on sale for 89 bucks , they also have one that uses 1/3 less oil on sale , by butterball also. i cant figure out how u fry without oil ,, but i will investigate, so i may stop and take a look, just to see how it works, but i hardly cook, lol, so its curiosity mainly,take care, i will post what i find out,

36Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:31 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Thanks rosco I'd like to know too. The one that takes the gallon of oil my guess is it has a motor that circulates the oil so it is constantly being covered in oil. Just a guess. I can't see how you can deep fry anything without oil. Its probably not a real deep fryer, maybe uses steam or something. Look forward to what you find out. Either way we're using the oven and always will. I've decided that.

I'm proud we got a butterball turkey this time..lol Sometimes we get other brands, I don't see any difference in brands really. A turkey is a turkey is a turkey. I think I've had all the major store brands. Winn Dixie, Publix, Carolina turkey, etc.

37Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:36 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
u know there are several ways to bake a turkey, bags, etc, i actually like to cook them uncovered but when u do that u use a lower temp , it is just is better to me, but i have not cooked one in years but i did when i was married,

38Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:41 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I watched an infomercial about the Butterball electric deep fryer, this one took 2 gallons of oil, it is dishwasher safe, it has heating coils at the bottom just like a commercial deep fryer, but this also has a steamer basket and several other attachments, it is really neat and is a counter top fryer.

39Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:48 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i called freds and this guy had no idea how the oil free turkey fryer worked, but he said the ones that used oil comes with peanut oil but this one has no oil, but i think u have to use it outside if u use the wood chips, i am going there to get pie, i will check farther, take care

40Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:51 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
SSC wrote:I watched an infomercial about the Butterball electric deep fryer, this one took 2 gallons of oil, it is dishwasher safe, it has heating coils at the bottom just like a commercial deep fryer, but this also has a steamer basket and several other attachments, it is really neat and is a counter top fryer.

that is probably the other one that uses 1/3 less oil they have on sale, because it says its an indoor fryer, and both are made by butterball, its round, the oil free one is like box shape, rectangle, 89 bucks for each,

41Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:06 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin

42Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:24 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin

43Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:41 pm

This is the one I saw. If I had said it had a "turkey shaped" basket, ya'll would have thought I was crazy. But it does!

44Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:05 pm

rosco 357

rosco 357
Veteran
i think they in the advertizement flyer from the store i talked about had the pictures backwards, as they had the rectangle one as the oil free, but both were butterball and black, not staninless steel finish, as the vids show the round one was the oil free, but he did not mention the ability to use wood chips in the wood chip tray for the oil free one for a smoke flavor,, or they have came out with now a later model with that ability, ,, but good vids,

45Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 am

SSC

SSC
Admin
The day has arrived to start the preparations for this feast, really it started yesterday, with the cornbread dressing , potato salad, pies and cakes, , today I am doing other dressings , the rice, two of the casseroles and another trip to Walmart, the land of crazy bugeyed shoppers with list in hand..

46Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:27 pm

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
Today I started cooking the green beans, I added 2 strips pf Bacon diced up and salt and pepper. I let it cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours. Then I took it off the heat. I'll put in the frig tonight after it cools and tomorrow put it back on the stove to warm up and maybe simmer awhile longer. I always cook the beans a day in advance so they soak overnight. My grandfather use to say green beans were always better the next day, and I agree. So I do it that way. Also its less to do on Thanksgiving day, the beans are basically cooked and ready to go. You should smell the house right now, smells like Thanksgiving already. Yes, I love my green beans. :)

47Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:13 pm

SSC

SSC
Admin
I love the smell of fresh green beans cooking , I saute onions in the bacon grease then add the beans and let them cook down to just past crunchy add garlic powder and Tony's, and your Grandfather was right green beans are much better the next day after the seasoning has marinated on them over night.

48Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:56 pm

gypsy

gypsy
I have been chopping, and preparing most of the day, smells so good in the house,
Got dressing mixed, and put in the fridge, I like the seasonings to meld, the derby pies done,green bean casserole ready to bake tomorrow,lots of work, but very enjoyable.

49Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:59 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
SSC wrote:I love the smell of fresh green beans cooking , I saute onions in the bacon grease then add the beans and let them cook down to just past crunchy add garlic powder and Tony's, and your Grandfather was right green beans are much better the next day after the seasoning has marinated on them over night.
Yes that sounds really good. Are you talking about "Tony Chachere" seasoning? That is good stuff. We have some of that. I didn't add it to the beans this time but I might next time.

50Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:02 am

runawayhorses

runawayhorses
Owner
gypsy wrote:I have been chopping, and preparing most of the day, smells so good in the house,
Got dressing mixed, and put in the fridge, I like the seasonings to meld, the derby pies done,green bean casserole ready to bake tomorrow,lots of work, but very enjoyable.
Yep its a busy day of cooking for a lot of people. Nice to get a few things ready ahead of time. Enjoy! Thanksgiving! A traditional one ? - Page 2 67629

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum